Gabriel Evans has been illustrating since he first worked as a cartoonist at age 14. Now 23, he's still creating beautiful things as well as illustrating and presenting flat-out, with four books recently released.
We're thrilled to have him presenting primary school workshops as part of this year's heARTlines.
Below, Gabriel answers our Four Fab Festival questions...
1. What book/s will you be speaking about at this year’s HeArtlines Festival?
I'll talk about my four recent books, Annie's Snails (Walker Books) by Dianne Wolfer, Roses are Blue (Walker Books) by Sally Murphy, The Woodland Whiskers - The Party (Five Mile Press) and The Woodland Whiskers - A New Pet (Five Mile Press).
We'll also take a peek at an exciting project I'm working on with Walker Books. Hint: It involves rum, gold and lots of AAARRR ME HEARTIES!
2. Where did inspiration for that book come from?
Each new book challenges me to find inspiration from new sources, the people I meet, the surrounding landscape, a book.
3. What’s your advice to aspiring writers or illustrators of children’s books?
Experiment with as many different 'art' styles as you can. It'll not only strengthen your techniques and core style but will give you flexibility. Publishers love an illustrator who can adjust their style subtly to fit a project.
Oh, and draw people. Lots of people! Majority of books are about people so make sure you're comfortable with figures!
4. What did you have for breakfast this morning?
- I was very healthy this morning. I poached an egg and had it on rye toast with smashed tomatoes, parsley and a drizzling of apple cider vinegar/olive oil. YUMMY!
You can read more about Gabriel and buy his books when you come to this year's heARTlines festival in Mundaring, where we'll be exhibiting awesome artwork from Western Australia's most fabulous children's illustrators, and featuring workshops from WA's best children's authors and illustrators, from 15 May till 28 June 2015.
The exhibition is FREE, and we'll be releasing more information about workshops soon...watch this space.